The current Decker Elementary, located at 8500 Decker Lane, Austin, Texas was built during the Spring and Summer of 1999. The official ribbon cutting was held on August 10, 1999, and the first school year at Decker was the school year 1999-2000.
The Decker Elementary we know was built on the site of the former Swedish school, named Decker School. The area around the school was settled by Swedish immigrants in 1867. As more settlers arrived, they cleared the land and built homes.
According to the Texas State Historical Association (Click here)
“DECKER, TEXAS (Travis County). Decker is three miles west of Manor in North Eastern Travis County. A school opened there as early as 1882, and a Methodist church was established before 1900. In 1907 the Decker school had two teachers and sixty-one students; it was consolidated with the Manor Independent School District in 1943. A church, a cemetery, and several houses marked the community on county highway maps in the 1940's. In the 1980's Decker was the name of the junction of a branch line of the Southern Pacific on Walter E. Long Lake.”
For further information about the original Decker community in Travis County please click here
Pictures from the 1930 era of Decker School, and its students are on the right…